It is hard to tell whether moving offices or moving houses is more painful. I have recently done both and I wanted to share some of this information so you can learn from my mistakes. I will honestly say straight out if you have enough cash flow – pay someone to do it for you!
Moving houses – No matter when or how much time you have it is always very painful. In our 7 years of marriage we have moved 7 times and once we packed up and put everything into storage for a backpacking adventure. Each time it did get easier however this last move we were unprepared for and had no time to think. It was at very short notice, we had nothing prepared, no boxes and no game plan. To make it worse it was all up to me while Emma looked after the kids and her family. I defiantly lacked forethought in this situation and put all of our stuff where ever it fit. I ran out of boxes quickly and ended up dumping everything and re-using boxes / laundry baskets. Issues started arising when Imani was crying for her favourite book or toy at bed time or when I needed my tools to fix some damage but I had no idea where I had packed them. The other issue I faced was finding lost treasures that you have not seen for 1,2,3 years. My love for them was reignited and I found myself taking time out to look through these kinds of items.
I am very lucky I had many friends and family help me out during this crazy week. I am forever grateful for the moving, packing, cleaning everyone chipped in.
My moving tips
- Plan ahead. Go through old boxes or shelves you have not looked at for a while. If you have time it does not matter if these distract you. You might even pick out some items that you can send to Vinnie’s. If time is not on your side then let your partner pack your room/area to avoid distraction.
- ALWAYS get favourite toys, books, pillows of your children or animals out of the house and into the car FIRST before you start packing.
- Don’t pack your tools until last
- Avoid all of this and get someone else to do this for you (best method)
- If you can’t afford for someone else to do this for you then ask some mates to come and help. Just follow this pointers to make sure you get the most out of them J
- Don’t give them beer first otherwise nothing will get done! Offer them energy drinks and coffee to keep them energised whilst moving and packing (you don’t want them to slow down)
- Pack breakable items yourself and make which boxes are breakable
- Make sure the reward at the end is a worthwhile enticement. Don’t cheap out – give them a BBQ with great food and nice beer.
Related Tag: Home Loans Lennox Head